The south of Morocco borders a body of sand that lures travelers near and far. For many years, many people have avoided the desert. After all, who would want to live in a hot, inhospitable and dry environment? In the past century, however, things have changed and tourists have flocked to the Sahara Desert for the quintessential Moroccan experience. If you are one of those people who are planning to spend your New Year’s Eve in the Desert, Morocco, it is imperative to know that a Saharan journey requires professional preparation and guidance.
– Your New Year’s Eve to a barren and hot desert cannot be ventured alone; you need to enlist help. It is highly recommended to find an experienced desert tour guide offering a weekend deal that includes accommodations and transportation. The ideal trip is an authentic trip. Try to find a guide with connections with a Tuareg tribe. The Tuareg tribes are Berber and inhabit the border of the Saharan Desert. They are known for their nomadic lifestyle, beautiful crafts and hospitality. Arrange a trip that gives you an opportunity to stay with a Tuareg tribe in tents, and make sure you have an opportunity to ride a camel.
– Once you’ve arranged your trip, prepare for the unexpected. The trip to and from the Sahara Desert will already be demanding, expect a long commute on winding roads. Once you arrive, different adventures await you. First, there’s the weather in the Sahara, which can be extreme-freezing at night, scorching during the day. Protect yourself and your well-being. Wear a hat during the day and arm yourself with layers. Wear longer pants for the camel-ride. You will be surprised by how rigorous a camel ride truly is.
– Camel trips are not for the faint of heart. Hydrate and bring bug repellant for the whole journey. New Year’s Eve in the Desert, Morocco is one of complete silence-uninterrupted by city lights and the sounds of cars. As such, having a good conversation piece around which people can congregate is a good thing.
– During the whole trip, you will need to be prepared mentally. New Year’s Eve in the Desert, Morocco is an extremely valuable experience for the mind and at the same time gives you ample opportunity for self-reflection. Walking alone in the sea of sand allows one to ponder about life and meaning.
– Walking through the desert gives you the strange sensation of being alone in the world, and that feeling can be terrifying as well as liberating. In order to maximize self-reflection, it is highly recommended to wake up early to watch the sunrise. Rest assured that groggily rolling out of your sleeping bed at dawn is worth the magnificent pictures you will capture.
Many tourists go to the Sahara Desert for the introspective opportunity, adventure and experience. If you seek luxury, this trip is not for you. But, if you seek unforgettable adventures and rugged experiences, gear up and start planning. The acquired perspective after a vision of endless sand dunes is one that is worth the journey.
Join countless satisfied travelers who have experienced Morocco with us. We customize every detail to make your Moroccan adventure uniquely yours. Explore the Magic of Morocco with us!