Many people love to travel to Morocco to experience how rich are its natural landscape, cuisine, and culture. However, most people are not aware that the southern coasts of Morocco are one of the best surfer destinations around the world.
If you are planning a trip to Morocco, you have a lot of destinations you can go to and one of them is Mirleft. Mirleft is known as a Berber town in Morocco that is located in the middle of the desert and the sea. The town is highly known for its amusing rock formations, comfortable weather, and most especially its astounding beaches.
The Famous Beaches in Mirleft
As mentioned above, Mirleft is famous for its rich and beautiful beaches. Its beaches include Sidi El Ouafi, Gzira, Sidi Mohamed Ben Abdallah, Imin Turga, Tamahroucht, and the border of Sidi Ifni. The most popular of these beaches is the Imin Turga while the best known among them is the Sidi Mohamed Ben Abdallah.
The quiet town of Mirleft offers sandy, amazing beaches with high waves. It is also a surfer’s paradise from the 7 beaches in Morocco that are also great for surfing. Moreover, this Moroccan travel destination is culturally diverse due to the large number of foreigners (Belgians, Swiss, French, and Germans) who easily fell in love with the place and decided to stay here for good. They have invested in Mirleft by opening restaurants, guest houses, and hotels.
The Best Things to do in Mirleft
Your trip to Mirleft will surely never go to waste because of the many things that you can do around the town. Here are the most popular things that you can do when you visit Mirleft:
– Climb and reach their old Spanish Military fort overlooking the village. The hill at the top gives you a spectacular view of the sea and the whole town.
– Enjoy the richness of Moroccan nature.
– You can try to take Moroccan and Berber cooking lessons.
– Since Mirleft has beautiful beaches and far from busy places like Agadir, it is ideal for you to go swimming. Try water sports such as windsurfing, paragliding, and surfing or simply go for a walk, trekking, running, and fishing.
– Plan a trip to Tiznit at daytime so that you can explore Mirleft. There you can find shops that sell Moroccan items that are hand-crafted and are cheaper than in Agadir and Marrakech. Tiznit is also popular for high-quality and hand-crafted silver products.
– A day trip going to Sidi Ifni is also a great idea to visit the Sidi Ifni beach. This beach is known to be the place’s best surfing spot because of its high waves.
Getting Around from the Agadir Airport
You can rent a vehicle and go to Tiznit from the Agadir airport. If you are driving, just follow the seaside road. For those with a limited budget, hail a taxi or cab from the airport to Inezgane or Batouat. From there, a taxi may take you to Tiznit and for your final leg, hail a taxi to Mirleft. There are also buses in Inezgane. You can negotiate a direct trip to Mirleft from Inezgane so that you will not have to stop by Tiznit.
I and a friend discovered Mirleft in the winter months 1972 where we established a camp site around the old guard huts above the beaches..
We stayed there for three months on the cliff side overlooking the beaches outside the village where the women and children would gather firewood every day. We got a 55 gallon drum for water that we refilled each week from the community well. We got bread each day from the communal bakery. We made a rough road to get to our camp across the rugged ground between our camp and the village. We became friends withe the local people and would go fishing each day with the men at their steep steps that they had built in a crevasse that went down to the ocean. It was so beautiful. No tourists only the local Berber people. It took two hours to drive to Tixnit the road was so bad. They called it the boom boom boom road. Every two weeks we would go to Tiznet to shop for stuff we needed and some locals would come along in my VW van and do their shopping too. No other travelers came there and stayed the entire three months we were there.